Monday, August 1, 2011

texas road house rolls


Texas Roadhouse Rolls - Copycat Recipe
adapted from: Good Stuff Maynard

4 tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 c. warm water
2 c. milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
3 Tbl. of melted butter, slightly cooled
1/2 c. sugar
2 quarts all purpose flour (7-8 cups)
2 whole eggs
2 tsp. salt

Dissolve yeast in warm water with a teaspoon of sugar. Add yeast, milk, sugar and enough flour to make a medium batter. Beat thoroughly. Let stand until light and foamy. Add melted butter, eggs and salt. Beat well.

Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto counter and let dough rest. Meanwhile, grease a large bowl. Knead dough until smooth and satiny and put in greased bowl; turn over to grease top. (I used the dough hook on my Kitchen-Aid to knead this for about 4-5 minutes). Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk. Punch down. Turn out onto a floured board. Divide into portions for shaping; let rest 10 minutes. Shape dough into desired forms. Place on greased baking sheets. Let rise until doubled.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Baste immediately with butter. Yield: 5 to 6 dozen.

*Jenn's Notes: I shaped my rolls by rolling out the dough into a rectangle, about 1/2-inch thick, then I folded the rectangle in half, making it about 1-inch thick. I used my rolling pin and rolled over the dough, ever so gently, just to seal the two halves together. I then used a dough scraper and cut the rolls into squares and placed those on my greased baking sheet. I cut the recipe in half and I got exactly 12 big rolls and baked them for 16-17 minutes. In order to get the 5-6 dozen rolls like the recipe states, you would have to make really small rolls.

Head on over to see more yummy recipes of Jenns. She has some pretty delicious recipes. Website found HERE

21 comments:

  1. oh man I am having a hard time not making these right now. Maybe this evening when it is cooler outside. my husband would love them

    ReplyDelete
  2. trying these for the first time today, shared your post on my ND Kitchen facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where's the cinnamon butter recipe to go with it????? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you freeze this dough for later use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I made this dough yesterday and froze half of it after I had shaped the rolls just to see what would happen and it still worked perfectly. Just make it through the shape your rolls step and instead of proofing them and then baking just put the shaped unproofed rolls into a ziploc bag and put in freezer. If you are going to freeze them for a longer period than just a few days I would wrap each roll in plastic wrap and then put in a ziploc. When you are ready to bake bring the rolls back to room temperature and then bake as directed.

      Delete
  5. Cinnamon Butter 1/2 cup softened butter 1/3 cup powdered sugar 1 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp honey Whip with beaters until light and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing the procedure..i will try to make this roll.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH man! Success! These are delicious...next time i'll try to make them a little better shaped, but YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I'm wondering if I can get some specifics. How much flour is enough to make a medium batter and how much is enough to make a soft batter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to know this too!

      Delete
    2. I used 3 cups for the medium batter. Not too thick and not too thin. And for the soft batter I added another 3 cups. Hope this helped!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Samantha Croft! Your reply was very helpful!

      Delete
  9. OH MY GOODNESS!!! I made these today and also the Cinnamon Honey Butter. They are some of the best rolls I've ever made! Thank you for the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these for dinner last night along with some cinnamon honey butter and they turned out pretty and delicious. Not too hard to make either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How long (on average) does it take the batter to become foamy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. depending on your yeast it will vary...if you are using fleishman's active dry yeast you wait until the liquid has almost doubled, which takes about 15 minutes.

      Delete
  12. I found your recipe via Pinterest. These are wonderful! I made half a batch of them this past weekend and my husband rated them 5 stars. I rate them as adding 5lbs to my waistline. :) Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really good recipe!!! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Has anyone had any luck with these using whole wheat flour? If so, what kind? Mine didn't turn out...otherwise, the ones with white flour were AWESOME though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not good with dough so I got kind of confused with the foaming and soft dough. I had to guess a little here and there, I was worried they wouldn't turn out. They turned out great! This recipe must be fool proof. ;) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete