Monday, July 2, 2012

Mushroom and Bell Pepper Chicken


I found this recipe from one of my favorite go to food blogs- its called 365 days of slow cooking  
our family really liked this recipe. 





Recipe for Mushroom and Bell Pepper Chicken with Linguine in the Slow Cooker

Makes 4-6 servings

1 medium onion, diced
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp oil
1 tsp dried tarragon
1/2 tsp thyme
1 Tbsp minced garlic
4 oz of mushrooms, sliced
1/4 tsp Shirley J chicken bouillon or 1/2 tsp regular chicken bouillon granules
1/3 cup water
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 or 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (frozen is fine)
Salt and pepper
3 peppers (I used red, orange and green), cut into chunks
1/4 cup canola oil
5 Tbsp flour
Dash of soy sauce
About 8-12 oz of linguine, cooked and drained

1.  In a microwave-safe bowl combine the onion, paste, 1 Tbsp oil, tarragon, thyme and garlic.  Microwave for 4-5 minutes, stirring every minute.  Transfer to the large slow cooker (I used my 6 quart).
2.  Add in the bouillon, water, and Worcestershire.  Place chicken on top and salt and pepper.  Place mushrooms and peppers on top of chicken.
3.  Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours.
4.  Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board.  Break up into large chunks and tent with foil.
5.  In a pan heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat.  Add in one Tablespoon of flour and whisk.  Add in the rest of the flour one tablespoon at a time and whisk.  Add in juices from slow cooker and whisk to create a nice creamy sauce.  Add in a dash of soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste.  Add in more thyme and tarragon, if needed. 
6.  Pour sauce into the slow cooker and stir in chicken chunks.  Stir in hot linguine and stir into the sauce.  Serve and enjoy!

Review:
I was inspired by the mushrooms and peppers in my fridge to make something delicious in the slow cooker.  I wanted a creamy sauce but decided to make the roux with oil instead of butter just to make it a bit more healthy.  I was pleased with the results overall, but I did feel like this was missing something.  I'm not sure what!  It's kind of driving me crazy.  Any ideas?!
3 1/2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment