Friday, January 6, 2012


Buttermilk Caramel Syrup

I found this recipe at Creations by Kara and tried it out this weekend. I am not a huge maple syrup fan so I am always looking for alternatives and I've gotta say this one is super yummy!

Buttermilk Caramel Syrup
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

In a large (seriously - use a large!) saucepan, bring buttermilk, sugars, and butter to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. It will bubble up a lot. As it cools, the bubbles will go away.


Cream Cheese Frosting
1 cube butter, softened
1 package cream cheese*
3-4 cups powdered sugar (you can use more if you want)
maraschino cherry juice (or milk)
1-2 t. vanilla
1 t. almond extract (optional)
1 c. heavy whipping cream, whipped

Cream butter and cream cheese together and whip until fluffy. Add in powdered sugar and extracts**. Add maraschino cherry juice (1-2 T.) for desired consistency. You can add more powdered sugar if you get it too thin. Add in whipped cream.

*If you want a stronger cream cheese flavor use 2 packages of cream cheese. You will probably want to up the amount of powdered sugar.

**Always add extracts before the milk because they will thin out your frosting somewhat.


posted by Alicia

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, all I need is a bowl of vanilla ice cream and a spoon and I'm all set. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you came by and linked up your syrup. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweets-for-saturday-51.html

    ReplyDelete