Oh boy where do I begin...
This is not a traditional Russian Chicken Stroganoff ( I will have to make the traditional recipe, one of this days). This dish I learned when my family owned a restaurant. The sauce for this dish is the KEY. This sauce is a take on a French cream sauce base. Very simple, although very easy to mess up, so be careful. This sauce will go wonderfully with Mushroom Jullien (that recipe, I will post later) and with salmon...as well as with scalloped potatoes or just over pasta.
This sauce was accidentally discovered by someone I knew and passed on to me. Now, I would like to share it with you ...
French Cream Sauce
3/4 of a 750ml White wine, any, I buy the cheapest since its just for cooking (save 1/4 for yourself :)
1 Quart Heavy Cream
3 Shallots (about 1/2 cup of sliced onion if using yellow onion)
2 teaspoons minced Garlic
2 teaspoons of Sugar
1. Heat oil in the pot on medium
2. Shred garlic into the heated pot
3. Slice shallots, add to the pot
6. Lower the temperature to medium, cook for about 10 minutes. (the amount of wine will lower, do not add more!)
*7. Steps 5 and 6 are important because you are cooking with wine and cream. If the alcohol of wine does not cook out, the cream will curl and you will have to throw it away and start all over. That happened to me the first time, so since then, I cook the wine just a couple of extra minutes if I'm not sure that its ready.
8. Add a little bit of heavy cream, stir well and make sure it has not curled. Add the remaining heavy cream. Stir.
9. Add sugar, salt and pepper.
10. Bring to boil of medium/high. Boil for a couple of minutes, lower the temperature to low.
French Cream Sauce
1. Cut chicken into 1/4 inch cubes
2. Add chicken to a pre-heated oiled skillet.
3. Salt/pepper, stir, cover, cook on medium
4. While the chicken in cooking, slice mushrooms
5. When the chicken is almost done, add mushrooms
6. When mushrooms are done, drain the juice from the skillet.
7. Add the some cream sauce, enough to cover the chicken) cover and cook on low for about 5 minutes. (I make extra sauce because it will stay in the fridge for a while and can be used with other dishes).
8. Cook pasta according to the box.
9. Pour chicken and sauce over pasta...serve