Makes about 36 serving
3 cups milk, scalded
1 cup potato flakes
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter or shortening
1 Tablespoon salt
1 1/2 Tablespoons yeast
6 cups flour (maybe a little more)
1. Combine potato flakes, sugar, salt, and shortening in a large bowel (kitchen aid, bosch, whatever) Add scalded milk. When mixture is luke warm add eggs, yeast and flour. Let rise until double (approximately 1 1/2 hours)
2. Split the dough in two. Take the first big pile of dough and roll it out into a big square/circle (with quite a bit of flour, till its manageable)
3. Spread butter all over the rolled our square/circle.
4. Then take the top edge of the dough and fold it half way over the square/circle then take the bottom end and fold it over the top of the end you just folded (make sense? its like when you fold a piece of paper to fit into an envelope?)
5. At this point you can give your now long rectangle a little roll to flatten in out a little. Then using a pizza cutter, cut your long rectangle into short one inch strips.
6. Tie the strips into knots. Stick them on a cookie sheet. Then repeat with the other big pile of dough.
7. Let your knotted rolls rise for about 3 hours till they get really big and fluffy. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10-12 min. or until golden brown on top.
ALSO, if you want to make Cinnamon Rolls or Orange Rolls, at step 3 (when you spread butter on your square/circle) add either of the following mixtures:
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp grated orange peel
1/4 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
Enough canned milk or whipping cream to make a smooth frosting.