When I spotted this Slowcooker Chicken Goulash at Chasing Tomatoes it really intrigued me. All of the flavors that are going on in this crock pot chicken dish have to be nothing short of delicious.
Here is how it was made:
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped finely
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 1 Tablespoon of paprika
- (1) 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes (diced or stewed would work too)
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar (light or dark should be fine, whatever you have on hand)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
In a medium sized skillet heat the olive over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent and tender. Add to crock pot. Now add the bell pepper, jalapeno pepper and garlic cloves to the pan. Cook until soft and tender. Add to crock pot.
Add the remaining ingredients to the crock pot and stir to slightly incorporate. Cook on low for 5 - 6 hours or on high for 2.5 - 3 hours. Once the chicken breasts are cooked thoroughly remove them from the crock pot and shred them using two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the crock pot and stir to mix it in with the other ingredients. If you find that this is too runny for your liking, mix in a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste to thicken it up. Serve with starch of your choice (crusty bread, rice, pasta or mashed potatoes would all be great choices).
|Photo courtesy of Chasing Tomatoes|
Go here for original recipe
*NOTE* Remember that chicken breasts are a very lean and tender cut of meat. Be careful to start checking for doneness at the earliest time mentioned in the cook time. If tender cuts of meat are overcooked in the crock pot they will be very dry and plain old yucky.
Come see more yummy recipes HERE